IME Installation Instructions for Macs
- Access the Language & Text section of the System Preferences via the Applications menu.
- Navigate to the Input Sources tab of the Language & Text window and tick the boxes next to the writing systems you wish to install. (For selection recommendations, see the table at the bottom of this page). Make sure the box marked Show Input menu in menu bar is also selected.
- You can now select your desired input language/writing system from the Language Menu bar (in the upper right of the menu bar). The keyboard will remain in the selected writing system regardless of what program you are using.
Input Method Recommendations
We can recommend some keyboards to enable for your language. Some languages will have multiple options like a phonetic vs an in-country keyboard. Other languages, like Chinese, have extra properties which can control how characters are choosen. You will need to do some exploration once you have learned the basics here.
Look for your language in bold. Under that language is the name of the language and keyboard as listed in the Macintosh Preferences.
- Chinese Traditional (Pinyin)
- Persian - QWERTY
- Hebrew - QWERTY
- Kotoeri (Hiragana, Katakana, Romanji)
- Hangul (2-Set Korean)
- Russian - Phonetic
- Vietnamese Unikey (Simple Telex)