IME Installation Instructions for Windows
- Access the Change keyboards or other input methods section of the Control Panel (Start → Control Panel → Change keyboards and other input methods).
- Clicking Change keyboards and other input methods brings up the Region and Language window. Select Change keyboards under the Keyboards and Languages tab, this will bring up the Text Services and Input Languages window.
- Click the Add button to bring up a list of available writing systems.
- Choose your desired writing system(s) from the list, tick the box next to it to select, and then click OK to confirm your selection. If you are unsure as to which options to select, consult the Input Method Recommendations below.
- You will be returned to the Text Services and Input Languages window. Click Apply to save your changes and install the keyboard. You will now have a little EN in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- To change to the newly-installed language, click the EN and select the target writing system. The writing options will change to reflect the language currently in use.
- You will now be able to write in your target writing system.
Warning: You must switch into the desired language for every program you are using. If you are already typing in the desired language in Word, and you switch to an internet browser, you must select the language again for the internet browser.
Input Method Recommendations
We can recommend some keyboards to enable for your language. Some languages will have multiple options like a phonetic vs an in-country keyboard. Other languages, like Chinese, have extra properties which can control how characters are choosen. You will need to do some exploration once you have learned the basics here.
Look for your language in bold. Next to the language may be a country, as shown in the Text Services and Input Languages addition list. Below the language in normal text is the name of the keyboard to enable, and potentially options you need to make the keyboard work.
- Arabic (Egypt)
- Arabic (101)
- Chinese (Simplified, PRC)
- Microsoft Pinyin New Experience Input Style
- Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)
- New Phonetic
Options: Keyboard → HanYu Pinyin
- Microsoft uses Persian instead
- French (France)
- German (Germany)
- Greek (Greece)
- Hebrew (Israel)
- Hindi (India)
- Devanagari - INSCRIPT
- Italian (Italy)
- Japanese (Japan)
- Microsoft IME
- Korean (Korea)
- Microsoft IME
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Brazilian (ABNT)
- Russian (Russia)
- Spanish (Spain, International Sort)
- Vietnamese (Vietnam)